Tuesday, June 12, 2012

New Student Advising - Full Speed Ahead!


The Class of 2016 started arriving for New Student Orientation the first week of June, and NSO sessions will run through the middle of July.  While on campus for each two-day session, incoming students learn a bit about how the University and academic requirements work, meet with the academic dean of their School/College, take placement tests, meet with an advisor to choose their courses for fall, and have many opportunities to learn about the opportunities awaiting them at UMass.  In addition, they HAVE FUN!


Here are a few pictures and comments from students who have attended NSO already this summer.  These comments were in response to this prompt: "The BEST part of my academic advising experience was . . ."

  • "working one-on-one with a very knowledgeable adviser! Before this advising session I felt overwhelmed and confused about the whole process but now I am excited about all of my courses and know how to navigate better on SPIRE." 

  • The advisors were "patient and understanding. They worked with me to get a good mix of classes I wanted and classes that were essential."




  • "The relief of having someone to help me understand what classes i needed to take and would be best suited for me."


No comments:

Post a Comment